Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/what-your-must-have-thanksgiving-recipes-t321814.html)

JENNR8R 11-13-2023 06:20 AM

What Are Your Must-Have Thanksgiving Recipes?

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving dinner without this recipe. I have made it every Thanksgiving for 53 years!

Scalloped Sweet Potatoes and Apples

3 baked, peeled, and sliced Sweet Potatoes (small to medium size)

2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced

1/2 cup Butter

1 teaspoon Salt

Put alternate layers of potatoes and apples in an 8” x 8” x 2” (2 liter) Corelle Ware casserole dish. Dot each layer with butter and sprinkle with salt.

Topping

3/4 cup packed Brown Sugar

1 cup chopped Pecans

1/3 cup melted Butter

1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour

In a mixing bowl combine the topping ingredients and mix well. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Cover and bake in a 350-degree oven until the apples are soft (about 45 minutes). Uncover and bake for about ten minutes longer.

Serves 6 to 8

Sandra-P 11-13-2023 06:30 AM

This sounds really good. I used to make one called Southern Peach yam bake and it is the same except with peaches. I will try your recipe this year. Thank you!

c joyce 11-13-2023 06:57 AM

We have to have fresh raw cranberry relish: (recipe doubles & triples easily)
1 bag fresh cranberries - chopped fairly fine
1 naval orange, with peel and all chopped fairly fine (naval oranges don't have seeds)
1 granny smith apple, cored but not peeled chopped
1 can crushed pineapple, juice too - regular size can, not the small one
2 cups sugar - more or less
1 cup chopped walnuts
Mix it all together and refrigerate - this keeps well and can be made a few days ahead and kept in fridge for week+
Use leftovers on top of cream cheese for spread on crackers - might need to strain some of the liquid off before putting on top of the cream cheese.

Anniedeb 11-13-2023 07:55 AM

We are so "traditional" it never changes. Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes with pineapple and tons of marshmallows, canned and regular cranberries, dinner rolls, green bean casserole, pumpkin, and apple pie. Lots of snacks for the games, and there's always wine.

JENNR8R 11-13-2023 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by c joyce (Post 8623914)
1 bag fresh cranberries - chopped fairly fine
1 naval orange, with peel and all chopped fairly fine (naval oranges don't have seeds)
1 granny smith apple, cored but not peeled chopped
1 can crushed pineapple, juice too - regular size can, not the small one
2 cups sugar - more or less
1 cup chopped walnuts
Mix it all together and refrigerate - this keeps well and can be made a few days ahead and kept in fridge for week+
Use leftovers on top of cream cheese for spread on crackers - might need to strain some of the liquid off before putting on top of the cream cheese.

That sounds so good... I've just put this on my menu. :)

aashley333 11-14-2023 03:46 AM

Sweet potato pecan pie and Ambrosia!
That's what I'm taking to cousin's house for the holiday. We are a big bunch, and it is pot luck style gathering. Baked, fried, and smoked turkeys, honey baked ham, 2 pans of cornbread dressing, the pumpkin cream cheese roll, potatoes with giblet gravy...

DebLuvsQuiltng 11-14-2023 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by c joyce (Post 8623914)

We make the same with adding a box of Raspberry jello. Makes it congealed a bit.

WMUTeach 11-14-2023 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by DebLuvsQuiltng (Post 8623999)
We make the same with adding a box of Raspberry jello. Makes it congealed a bit.

I was thinking the same thing. I love this recipe and it is so easy. Keeps for days and just shouts THANKSGIVING!

My must have is pumpkin pie with a ring of chopped sugared walnuts around the rim of the pie. A sweet little crunch added to the smooth spicy yumminess of the pumpkin.

Rumbols 11-14-2023 06:43 AM

Mine is fairly simple. Crustless pumpkin pie (1/2 cup baking mix added to regular pumpkin pie recipe), smoked turkey, cornbread/onion/celery dressing, baked sweet potatoes, gravy, a little cranberry sauce, and fresh steamed green beans.
Health issues have taken away most of the good stuff during the holidays, but we still enjoy them.
All of your traditions sound so yummy.

Stitchnripper 11-14-2023 07:10 AM

We are traditionalists but my daughter in law loves to bake and experiment. So we have our usual regulars every year and then she finds other recipes to add in. Her dessert table is beautiful and delicious. We did spatchcock the turkey last year and will do it again. She got a much bigger pan and a cutting tool. But it was a fun family project and very delicious. And still turkey.