Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   whats cookin today? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/whats-cookin-today-t259171.html)

lildinks2013 01-04-2015 10:45 AM

whats cookin today?

Hi today, temps will be dropping, so I decided to make homemade turkey soup with biscuits. I have a lot of turkeys in my freezer as wally here had some on sale for .50 cents per pound. Wow yup you read right. .50 CENTS PER POUND! So I took advantage of a great sale and bought a few since I have 2 freezers. DH helped me cut a few in half so I wouldn't have to roast a whole turkey at once. Whatever you can do with a chicken, you can do with a turkey. I lovemaking homemade soups, it lasts a few days around here. I also freeze some for later date. doing this allows me more time to sew...lol if ya know what I mean.

Tartan 01-04-2015 11:06 AM

Oven Cabbage roll casserole. Basically this is the cabbage roll filling put in between layer of sliced cabbage. It tastes the same but is a heck of a lot less work.

Chasing Hawk 01-04-2015 12:23 PM

Rabbit spaghetti , warmed french bread (wrap a few slices of french bread in foil and place in a 200 degree oven for about 10 minutes) and a Cesar salad.

Stitchnripper 01-04-2015 12:41 PM

Mr Stitchnripper is making gumbo. House smells great and cold weather coming.

Jackie Spencer 01-04-2015 01:06 PM

Home made Vegetable Beef Soup! Yum!

jeanne49 01-04-2015 01:08 PM

We're making sausage soup with some really good homemade smoked sausage

Billi 01-04-2015 01:19 PM

Yummmmm it all looks good. I'm seeing a bit of a trend. I'm going with homemade chicken and dumplings.

nanacc 01-04-2015 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 7033681)
Mr Stitchnripper is making gumbo. House smells great and cold weather coming.

Wish I could join you!! I lived in La for a few years and had friends who could make gumbo to die for!! I never got the nerve to try to duplicate their fantastic cooking! Really miss my Cajun friends and those treats!

GrandmaNewt 01-04-2015 01:46 PM

After the holidays is always my "use up the freezer food" time. Good for my budget, good for making room in my freezers too! I always get a kick of seeing how many days worth of meals I can make without having to go to the grocery store.
Today I found a big package of stew meat to thaw out (about 4 lbs, bought on markdown and tossed into the freezer) Its just me and my husband here for dinner. I have a few odds n ends veggies like carrots, potatoes etc around to use up, so tonights dinner will be beef stew. I plan on saving a portion of that meat to make a beef barley soup in the next day or two.

nanacc 01-04-2015 01:50 PM

Its been really cold here...Made chili and cornbread two days ago. Today we will have pinto beans with ham hock(frozen from Christmas dinner), potato salad, broccoli & cheese sauce, fruit salad and cornbread. Of course, sides of my DD's bread & butter jalapenos and our salsa!