Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   When was the last time you cooked or ate Butter Beans? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/when-last-time-you-cooked-ate-butter-beans-t149655.html)

Rosyhf 09-01-2011 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I soaked the beans for about 4 hours while I made bread and cherry jam today.

I started to cook the beans until medium soft then added a grated potatoe, large onion, green sweet pepper and some ham. These are all grated (in my little chopper)

I added some italian seasoning, yeast flakes, garlic powder, blk pepper, ground red pepper pinch of cummin and rosemary. I don't add the salt until last when the beans are soft....after it's done I add 1 tabl of venigar...the venigar just gives it a kick, you don't taste it, it just does something. It is thick and delicious.

The bread will be done in 15 minutes. Here it is rising, 30 minutes to go but that was a good while ago, it's almost done.

For the bread I put raisens, blueberries, cherries, cranberries in a pot to just reach boiling point and turn off.

After the yeast rises, I add water to the reconstituded fruit and add all of that to the yeast along with the molasses. I grind some flax and add oatmeal, rye flour, whole wheat flour and regular four, salt and mix it all up and let it rise 2 hours and punch down and put in loaf pans and let rise another 1 1/2 hours and then bake at 350 for 45 minutes or so.

I made a huge spring salad earlier.

Yesterday, I made a mess of hamburgers and cookies...I/m done now for a while lol......I'm going to go work on my stuff now if I don't get too tired lol.

Cherry Jam waiting to cool down.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]250132[/ATTACH]

Bread, in second rising
[ATTACH=CONFIG]250133[/ATTACH]

sueisallaboutquilts 09-01-2011 02:55 PM

What beautiful pictures!! I'll be right over- save me some :D:D

Jan in VA 09-01-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
What beautiful pictures!! I'll be right over- save me some :D:D

Okay, me too! I'll bring sweet tea and plenty of lemons; won't this be fun!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jan in VA

Jan in VA 09-01-2011 02:57 PM

oops! over anxious!

Murphy 09-01-2011 03:00 PM

Watching the mail for my food package. Yum!!

Olivia's Grammy 09-01-2011 03:04 PM

What time is dinner? We have speckled butter beans planted. Can't wait until they are ready. I serve ours with fried peppers and onions.

nativetexan 09-01-2011 03:10 PM

I'm on my way over to your house. wait for me!!!

Rosyhf 09-01-2011 03:11 PM

hahahah it's readyyyyyyyyyy.....come on....I can't wait to taste the jam. I can't eat cherries or peaches, apricots...they make my throat close up...but I can eat them if they are cooked...so jam it is and it's even better..

I took a chance and ate two cherries while I was pitting them and I could feel my throat after just two...I was ok with just 2 but I wouldn't do it all the time...I can use the benadryl right away to help if needed. I can't eat shrimp either....what a bummer....how did I get alergic to these things? is it age?

blueangel 09-01-2011 03:41 PM

Wow that looks so good.

sewgull 09-01-2011 04:18 PM

Can I come live at your house? All this good food makes me hungry.