Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Whipped butter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/whipped-butter-t251890.html)

mermaid 08-15-2014 04:43 AM

Whipped butter

What method/recipes do you use to make whipped butter---cream, buttermilk, or oil only? We love toasted bagels with butter spread before toasting, but my butter from the fridge is so cold and hard that it is difficult to spread. I bought whipped butter from the groc, but it is as hard as my stick butter, so I want to try making my own. I DO NOT want to add ice water because it softens the toast. Thx for any input--I know there are a lot of good cooks out there that know the answer.

rndelling 08-16-2014 06:10 AM

I try not to use too much butter so I take a cup of butter, 3/4 cup canola oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and beat it with a mixer. I get the taste of butter with less fat and it spreads easily.
I tried using olive oil one time but thought that the taste of the olive oil over powered the taste of the butter so I stick with canola oil.

AZ Jane 08-16-2014 08:13 AM

I add a new drops of milk and whip like crazy. I do have a stand mixer, which help tremendously!!

farmquilter 08-16-2014 09:27 AM

I put half a stick of butter in a small oven proof dish and set it on the counter overnight==nice spreadable butter. Or you could place it in the microwave to set overnight, no heating required or whipping to make it soft.

Carol Jean 08-16-2014 01:15 PM

A friend of mine gave me this trick. Melt on low 1 cup of margarine ( or whatever amounts, as it is equal parts of both) when the margarine is softened, ad 1 cup of olive oil. Cool, then store in air tight container. This is real creamy and good tasting. Hope this helps.

oldtnquiltinglady 08-16-2014 02:06 PM

I love the honey-butter at Cracker Barrel and have often wondered if I could duplicate it at home for our own biscuits. Any hints that I might try.

Stitchnripper 08-16-2014 02:12 PM

I got one of those butter keepers and keep it on the counter. Even in Louisiana it doesn't go bad and is nice and soft.

its the Trudeau Porcelain Butter Boat on amazon.com

teacherbailey 08-16-2014 05:41 PM

I just leave a stick out on the counter on a saucer and it stays soft and spreadable all the time. I have a German Shepherd who is the family butter stealer and I have to put the saucer way back on the counter by the wall to keep her out of it.......

Grandma Nancy 08-17-2014 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 6845604)
What method/recipes do you use to make whipped butter---cream, buttermilk, or oil only? We love toasted bagels with butter spread before toasting, but my butter from the fridge is so cold and hard that it is difficult to spread. I bought whipped butter from the groc, but it is as hard as my stick butter, so I want to try making my own. I DO NOT want to add ice water because it softens the toast. Thx for any input--I know there are a lot of good cooks out there that know the answer.

I set butter out to get soft and then whip it with equal parts of canola oil, sometimes a little lets canola than butter. The more canola, the softer the butter. I very rarely use margarine anymore - even bugs don't like it.

PAKate 08-17-2014 05:45 AM

I take a pound of butter, add 1 cup canola oil and 1 cup water and mix up in food processor til smooth.