Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Why take skins off and seeds out of tomatoes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/why-take-skins-off-seeds-out-tomatoes-t247007.html)

LynnVT 05-20-2014 04:32 AM

I'm not crazy about the seeds, either, though I don't make a lot of sauce myself. We like our sauce chunky so I don't blend or strain. Either the hot or freeze method sound good to get rid of the skins which aren't always pleasant to the tongue.

lclang 05-20-2014 05:02 AM

I would quarter, put them in the oven to cook down to desired consistency and then freeze. Run through a colander. EASY (lazy) way to do them and no sticking/scorching. Stir once or twice near the end.

cherrio 05-20-2014 08:08 AM

this is what I use too. for apples etc also for making applesauce! love it

Originally Posted by red-warrior (Post 6722515)
My grandma didn't peel or seed her sauce, when cooked she put it thru a foley food mill and that took out the seeds and skins. This went back into the pot and the peppers, onions, and spices were added and cooked before canning.

Letty 05-20-2014 08:58 AM

I'm with you craftygater.

CindyA 05-20-2014 02:30 PM

Lots of good things here, ladies. Thanks!! The sauce was very good, we all liked it. I froze one small container of it to try later and make sure we like it after having been frozen.

seasaw2mch 05-20-2014 02:54 PM

ok I know of only one reason to remove the seeds that might make a difference for some people and that is if they have ever had dy-per-ti-cu-li-tous. I know this isn't spelled right but you pronounce it like it looks.

This is where the seeds get caught in the intestinal tract and form pul-ups. again I can't spell! These pulups would get infected to the point that they had to be surgically removed. My MIL had to have several operations done on her to remove these and they always told us that they were from the seeds in the tomatoes that didn't pass through her system. So if you have intestinal problems then I think the removal of the seeds are necessary.

klutzyquilter 05-20-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 6722657)
........... put in boiled water for few minutes....skins fall off...cut in half, squeeze out seeds, bag and freeze....

thanks for this ... sounds easy enough !

ube quilting 05-20-2014 04:23 PM

Seeds are very wet with that slimy stuff and it will make the sauce thinner and change the flavor a bit. I just squeeze the seeds out.

If you blanch the tomatoes the skin will peel right off with little work.

Have fun cooking up some sauce!
peace

nlpakk 05-20-2014 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 6723877)
Tomato seeds can be an irritant, very painful, for those who have intestinal difficulties.....along with cucumber seeds, nuts, etc.........

Also some people with colitis can not eat seeds of any kind.

linda faye 05-20-2014 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 6723877)
Tomato seeds can be an irritant, very painful, for those who have intestinal difficulties.....along with cucumber seeds, nuts, etc.........

Yes! they certainly can be an irritant. With diverticular problems I avoid painful inflammation by tomatoes by peeling and removing seeds from Roma tomatoes (also eat only Romaine lettuce).