Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   you probably all knew, I didn't (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/you-probably-all-knew-i-didnt-t137993.html)

fishnlady 07-17-2011 10:49 PM

Great idea for the cabbage. One suggestion though, since saran wrap can leach harmful chemicals onto your food while microwaving, is to put the cabbage into a bowl cover with a saucer or plate then microwave.

LindaR 07-18-2011 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by fishnlady
Great idea for the cabbage. One suggestion though, since saran wrap can leach harmful chemicals onto your food while microwaving, is to put the cabbage into a bowl cover with a saucer or plate then microwave.

would work too...the saran just held in the moisture...

grandjan 07-18-2011 08:37 AM

Thanks for the tip. I love cabbage rolls but don't like the nuisance of wilting the leaves in a pot of boiling water. This sounds so much easier.

violets4me123 07-18-2011 12:21 PM

Thank you. How about wet paper towel? So true about chemicals on any kind of plastics, I hear.
I love Cabbage rolls, thanks for the tips. Now I will be able to make them without the boiling part!!! :-D

plainpat 07-18-2011 12:53 PM

I made them using the micro for yrs,till a neighbor told me to freeze the head of cabbage.
Works great.I just put it in freezer the day before,remove from freezer the next morn & as it thaws,it gets limp.Just cut off the leaves you need & stuff.

LindaR 07-19-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
I made them using the micro for yrs,till a neighbor told me to freeze the head of cabbage.
Works great.I just put it in freezer the day before,remove from freezer the next morn & as it thaws,it gets limp.Just cut off the leaves you need & stuff.

I had heard of this too but didn't think ahead LOL,

quilt crazee 07-29-2011 10:35 AM

when I was 1st married-husband said he'd like some cabbage rolls,-asked around-was told it was "like your mom's spanish rice wrapped up in cabbage w/tomato sauce over it. so totally cooked S.rice wrapped it in raw cabbage, & simmered it, totally fell apart. ADDED TOOTHPICKS,still too loose. someone said add an EGG as a binder. cooked the rice mix, cooled it, added an EGG, still had no luck rolling.THEN I got a HUNGARIAN landlord, who invited me down so I could figure out what I was doing wrong.Imagine my surprise to learn the meat& rice were raw & the CABBAGE was cooked! --made adding that EGG alot easier!That was 40 years ago- alot easier to make now! Don't cook the rice anymore, either! LOL!!-needless to say I grew up hillybilly & we didn't make those!

wanda lou 07-30-2011 12:28 AM

sounds so good, i have not made cabbage rolls in years.

Wanabee Quiltin 07-30-2011 06:32 AM

Thanks for the tip. We love cabbage rolls in the winter. I cook totally different for the summer months.

Also you can cook corn on the cob in the microwave too. I put all my ears in a zip lock bag and add several T of water, zip part way and cook about 7 min per bag. My daughter wraps hers in wax paper and cooks it about that long too, absolutely delicious.