Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Question on cooking cornish game hens in a brown bag >

Question on cooking cornish game hens in a brown bag

Question on cooking cornish game hens in a brown bag

Old 11-29-2014, 11:38 AM

Default Question on cooking cornish game hens in a brown bag

I had a recipe book either the Gilroy garlic festival cookbook 1995, 1996 or 1997 cant recall. It had a recipe for baking a Cornish game hen in a brown bag. the game hen had teriyaki sauce on it I recall and the brown bag was coated in cooking oil. other than that.. fling the memory is gone. Can you help me find the recipe? do you have one of those books and could you check? thanks so much for your help. I forget temperatures too.. argh! growing older is not for sissy's is right (thanks mom for that one). She was right. AGAIN (sigh!). thanks for any help you have!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:18 PM

Linda, I have this cookbook! Can you believe it? The recipe I think you are referring to is Helen's Baggy Henny. Do you want me to PM you the whole recipe? I will but it is kind of long so wanted to check with you first. This one uses soy sauce, not teriyaki. Just let me know.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:18 AM

Suern3, do you think you could post this recipe or pm me with the same ? I'm interested also. Thanks !
Old 11-30-2014, 10:00 AM

I am interested as well. Please do post if not too much trouble.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:10 PM

i used brown paper bags for turkeys etc for many years. cooking w oiled bag as described by elisbrat. but quit after being warned about fact that now a days, brown paper bags are made of recycled materials & contain unknown toxins ..should not be used for food preperation. i have never found a satisfactory substitute method. the brown paper bag produces such a moist, flavorful & perfectly browned turkey, chicken or whatever.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:38 PM

I recently read the same thing, warning against using paper bags for cooking and was thinking of mentioning it.
Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
i used brown paper bags for turkeys etc for many years. cooking w oiled bag as described by elisbrat. but quit after being warned about fact that now a days, brown paper bags are made of recycled materials & contain unknown toxins ..should not be used for food preperation. i have never found a satisfactory substitute method. the brown paper bag produces such a moist, flavorful & perfectly browned turkey, chicken or whatever.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:45 PM

I think I responded too quickly to the OP. There is a new post about sharing copyrighted material which I started thinking about over night and I'm pretty sure I should not post or share the recipes from this book. It's not like it was my great grandma's version of biscuits. So for those of you who have requested a copy, don't think I'm ignoring you I just thought it's best not to continue with this. I am such an irritating rule follower, it could drive you crazy! Sorry to all! Plus, see roguequilter's post.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:50 PM

By the way, the book is "The Complete Garlic Lovers' Cookbook" Copyright 1987 by The Gilroy Garlic Festival Association, Inc. Gilroy, CA in case any of you want to pursue it.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 AM

Google BROWN BAG CORNISH HENS, there are several, at least enough to get you started. You can purchase brown bags that are not recycled. None of our local stores use brown bags, just plastic, then complain about recycling! Jeez!

Last edited by AZ Jane; 12-01-2014 at 08:16 AM.