Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spanish Bar Cake

Blog Entries
    on my goodness! you are bad for me! has been so long that I have had a fresh spanish bar. thanks you for the recipe!

The first thing I thought of when I read spanish bar cake was that my mother would send me to the A&P to get some when they were on sale for 3/$1.00. There were 8 of us kids, so we only got some when they were on sale!!!

Blog Entries
    yeah! 3/1.00 they were so good too.

I am glad all of you are having good memories about these Spanish Bar Cakes. That was certainly a different life then. So much calmer and more peaceful. Do you think that if we all start making these Spanish Bar Cakes it would being more peace to world? Just wishful thinking. I haven't made mine yet and this is a new recipe for me, but I have all the ingredients and will make it soon. Thank all of you for sharing such a nice trip down memory lane.
    Jo Ann

dd
    Thank you so much. I love this cake and yes we bought it at the A&P as a kid. Recently I had found it at Weis every once in a while. Brings back lots of memories. Can't wait to try it.

More peaceful, I'd like to think so. Since I'll be eating this entire cake, not too sure.lol Everyone will have to fight for a piece of the first one, maybe they'll get a piece of the second one. Thanks for the recipe and the memories.

I see walnuts are optional. It's been so long, do ya'll think there were walnuts in their cakes?

Glad you remembered there has to be the lines in the frosting. Just wouldn't taste the same without the lines!lol

Blog Entries
    My husban is going to love you. We have looked for years for a Spanish bar like the A&P had. Bring back so many memories. This recipe is a keeper. Thank You.

Sounds good

I don't remember any nuts, just raisins.

I don't remember this cake, I'm sure we had it though because I DO remember going with my mom or my grandma to shop at the A&P, many times ... thanks for the recipe, will try ! Love spice type cakes :)

thanks

Oh yes, I remember how much I loved the Spanish Bar Cake, but it was in the shape of a brick, perfectly rectangular, flat on top, with the squiggly icing, but it was about 3"-4" high. Is yours the same thing? You don't give any directions about cutting it, but I assume you cut it in bars like brownies? Or do you cut the cake in strips and stack them? I'm confused! Maybe Spanish Bar Cake in Pittsburgh was different? However, your recipe sounds like it will taste exactly how I remember. Must try it soon!

Quote Originally Posted by joivey
    I don't know if any of you remember, but way back, when I was young, the A&P carried a wonderful Spanish Bar Cake that they made in their bakeries. It was delicious!!!!!!!!!! Well, here is a recipe to make it ( or something very similiar). Let me know if you remember, or if you are familiar with this recipe.
    Jo Ann

SPANISH BAR CAKE
    For the bars:
    1 package (18.25) plain spice cake mix
    1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
    3/4 teas ground cinnamon
    1/2 teas ground nutmeg
    1/4 teas ground cloves
    2 cups unsweetened applesauce
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    4 large eggs
    3/4 cup raisins
    1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)

For the frosting
    4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon milk
    2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1 teas pure vanilla extract
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

To make the bars:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place race in the center of the oven. Line with parchment paper a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan and set aside.
    2. Place the cake mix, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, applesauce, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low until the ingredients are incorporated, 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides with rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until batter is smooth, about 1 minute longer. Fold the raisins and 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, if using. Transfer batter to prepared baking pan, smoothing the top with the rubber spatula.
    3. Place pan in over and bake the bars until edges have set and the center is still a little soft. 25-30 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for about 35 minutes.

To makes the frosting:
    1. Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low until creamy, 1 minute.
    2. Stop the machine, add mix, sugar and vanilla. Continue beating on low until the ingredients come together. Increase the mixer speed to medium low and beat until the frosting is creamy and light, 30 seconds longer.
    3. Spread the frosting evenly on top of the cooled cake. Run the tines of a fork through the icing to make squiggles. Let the frosting set for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Even though I have celiac disease.. yummmm might try a gluten free one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    I remember those!!! I loved them. But I bought them wrapped on the shelf like Hostess Cupcakes etc. not in the deli. Thanks so much for the recipe. I hope it tastes exactly the same (well, without all the preservatives maybe it'll taste even better).
    I remember those Hostess spice cakes!!! :thumbup: My brothers always thought I was crazy not to buy the cupcakes. I never told them how delicious the spice cake was. AND you got soft frosting! Yum! And they only cost 10 cents! (Now I'm aging myself!)

Sue

Sounds really good. What is A&P?

tmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Willa
    Sounds really good. What is A&P?
    A&p was a grocery store, i think the letters stand for Atlantic and Pacific, that used to be the name of a railroad line too. i'm putting the items for this cake on my grocery list!!! i loved those cakes,

Blog Entries
    Ann Page, If I recall.... could have been Atlantic & Pacific

was a grocery store in the east years ago, its lost like Colonial stores, IGA( still some of those) and many more that were some good stores.

AAhhhh thank you tmw and Psychomomquilter!

I remember another spice cake that we used to get that sounds like this same recipe. It was from the bakery section and was about the size of a loaf of bread and had 3 layers. I LOVED that cake. I will make these - they sound like it.

I have a scratch recipe for the Spanish Bar Cake that included one tablespoon of cocoa. This gives the cake a distinctive dark coloring, yet does not give it a chocolate taste.I love cream cheese on cakes; however the original had a traditional buttercream icing. I played with a white Crisco icing with marshmallow cream., and it was excellent. Guess I will have to make one for my husband today as we both have sweet memories of the ols A and P and this cake.

Power Poster
    i remeber them just dont remeber the nuts will give recipe a try thanks for sharing

Blog Entries
    Oh my i could just hug your neck my most favorite cake Thanks,Thanks ever so much for the recipe our bread deliverly man came each wk and we always got one sometimes two.....Thanks again(:)

Can you post this recipe?

The recipe is posted in the first thread.

No, the recipe for the one from scratch.

Oh. Sorry. Someone else will have to help you there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast