Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Tips For Making Crunchy, Crispy, Cucumber Pickles >

Tips For Making Crunchy, Crispy, Cucumber Pickles

Tips For Making Crunchy, Crispy, Cucumber Pickles

Old 07-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by trustme2 View Post
I have an easy recipe for a crisp sweet pickle. It would take a while to type. I will gladly share (copy & paste) if you are interested and allow me to pm you.
trustme2
As the season approaches (still quite a ways off though), I'm looking for some new recipes to try this year. So, yes, I would be interested in your recipe. Thank you!!

Perhaps it would be just as easy for you to post it directly here, and just have to do it once? Your choice, just a suggestion.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by trustme2 View Post
I have an easy recipe for a crisp sweet pickle. It would take a while to type. I will gladly share (copy & paste) if you are interested and allow me to pm you.
trustme2
I would love to have that recipe. You can pm me or post it here.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:31 AM

I looked up my mom's old recipe for dill pickles..and I see she used Alum, 1 tsp in each quart...now I see that there is a warning out for Alum and it is suggested that if you use it...should not be more than 1/4 tsp as it is toxic. I will have to research that further as it seems the toxic properties is thought to add to your chances of Alzheimer's or Dementia. Because of the aluminum in it but I thought I read somewhere that the theory about aluminum being a cause had been shown to not be true and I am also confused about cream of tartar as that seems to maybe have the same components as Alum? Anyway..more research is to be done with all of that, I remember my mom's dill pickles being nice and crispy..
Old 07-06-2020, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I find this interesting that no one mentions whether these are sweet pickles, bread & butter pickles or dill pickles. Do these suggestions work for all the types of pickles? When I saw ferment, I thought probably dill? Am I wrong?
Hi Barb,
These tips were below a recipe for Kosher Dill Pickles, so I'm guessing that is what they were referring to. However, I don't see why you can't use the same tricks for sweet pickles too.

~C
Old 07-09-2020, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnthyme View Post
Be sure you use pickling cucumbers. Don't use purposes ones, they won't work.
My mom always used the all purpose cucs for pickles and never had any problems.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:18 PM

Default Alum?

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I looked up my mom's old recipe for dill pickles..and I see she used Alum, 1 tsp in each quart...now I see that there is a warning out for Alum and it is suggested that if you use it...should not be more than 1/4 tsp as it is toxic. I will have to research that further as it seems the toxic properties is thought to add to your chances of Alzheimer's or Dementia. Because of the aluminum in it but I thought I read somewhere that the theory about aluminum being a cause had been shown to not be true and I am also confused about cream of tartar as that seems to maybe have the same components as Alum? Anyway..more research is to be done with all of that, I remember my mom's dill pickles being nice and crispy..
My sweet pickle recipe used an alum soak... 1 tablespoon to a 4 gallon (Canadian) crock and let sit about12 - 24 hours.
I have another from a neighbor which uses 1 teaspoon alum plus vinegar in the soak for a large Dutch oven.

Both are poured off and rinsed. Then onto the next step.

For dill pickles I just soak overnight in ice water before proceeding.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:19 PM

I think the most important tip is to cut off the blossom end.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:20 PM

I also tried Pickle Crisp in my sweet pickle recipe last year. Wasn't impressed.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:39 AM

I think that the ice water soak is a good idea. Can't hurt.

Personally, I don't think that I'd use alum. It's not readily available to me and I have tons of grape leaves and other things just naturally growing around here that have tannin in them. Alum seems like overkill. To each his own.

~ C