Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian meals for hot weather

Vegetarian meals for hot weather

Summer has finally arrived in Vermont where one day it was 46 degrees and the next day 90. I'm looking for some easy vegetarian meals for hot weather. I am tired of salad every night, but don't want to cook too much (I'd rather be quilting!).

I'm no help as I live alone (also in VT) and if I'm not eating salad, I eat a bowl of cereal with fresh fruit for supper.

Spaghetti squash.....Spiralize zucchini.....so many fresh veggies available now any of which can be stir fried. Just some thoughts

Meatless spaghetti. It really is good. I don't miss the meet.

Grilled zucchini or summer squash. Grilled eggplant. Grilled Portabella mushroom caps (also very good filled with pizza fillings like marinara sauce and mozz cheese or prepared stuffing). Veggie kabobs, I like to alternate onion, bell pepper, zuke or summer squash, button mushrooms, baste with garlic infused olive oil with some finely chopped herbs. Edited to add that the grilled veggie kabobs are just as tasty the next day cold.

This came as a "filling" for acorn squash, but I now I just make it and eat it like a cold salad.

1 cup Quinoa (cook according to directions), I then saute onion & garlic to add to it. Add (2) TBSP olive oil, and (3) TBSP red-wine vinegar. Add 1/2 cup Feta cheese, and 1/2 cup chopped pistachios. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes depending on how much "heat" you like. I don't have exact measurements, as I mostly just add the proportions that look/taste right. Sometimes I add more oil/vinegar because the quinoa does tend to absorb it. I think it's really yummy and the quinoa is high in protein. Normally I find quinoa blander than bland, but it really works in this recipe.

ekuw reminded me of one of favorites, Greek Quinoa and Avocado

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained; 1 cup water. Follow cooking instructions on package.
    2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
    1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach, 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
    Add above to quinoa, stir to combine
    whisk together 2 tblsp lemon juice, 2 tblsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt; add to quinoa mixture, toss to coat.

Place additional spinach leaves on 4 salad plates. Arrange avocado slices atop spinach leaves. Divide quinoa mixture evenly over avocado slices. Sprinkle each serving with some feta.

I normally eat this for lunch and I have never done the plated version. Usually don't use avocado or feta because I don't have it in hand, although I love both of those. One of my favorite lunches! Would be fine for a light dinner, also, but my DH gets nervous at the word quinoa and definitely wants meat at dinner time
    Last edited by suern3; 06-12-2017 at 02:47 PM.

I am not a vegetarian, but one of my favourite, easy vegetarian meals has become an Apple Omelette. (Of course, that is, if you do eggs and dairy.)

When I first heard about it, I figured it would be either really good,
    or that I would wish I had not wasted the ingredients.

First time, I just made it with one egg ..... but that never happened again.
    It is a perfect mix of egg protein with the sweetness of the apples and the punch of the cheddar.

You can never go wrong with cheese, can you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Apple Omelette
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melt butter in skillet.
    Cook/Saute apple slices with some cinnamon til crisp-tender.

Scramble eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper.
    Pour overtop of apples, and continue cooking til done.

Shred cheese overtop. Let melt.

Serve and Enjoy!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 06-12-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    Veggie fried rice, vegetarian chili , spaghetti without meat sauce.

Thanks, everybody! I'm not a vegetarian, just trying to lose weight and not eat tossed salad every night. Keep those ideas coming! Will have to go buy some quinoa and give your recipes a try.

I like to oven roast a large amount of vegetable - onions, carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, etc - to keep in the refrigerator. Then I make a pot of quinoa, farro, or lentils. I can then reheat a portion of each and top with a salsa or other sauce. I really like Trader Joe's Sweet Asian Chili Sauce. Sometimes I add a poached egg on the grains with some salsa.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I am not a vegetarian, but one of my favourite, easy vegetarian meals has become an Apple Omelette. (Of course, that is, if you do eggs and dairy.)

When I first heard about it, I figured it would be either really good,
    or that I would wish I had not wasted the ingredients.

First time, I just made it with one egg ..... but that never happened again.
    It is a perfect mix of egg protein with the sweetness of the apples and the punch of the cheddar.

You can never go wrong with cheese, can you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Apple Omelette
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melt butter in skillet.
    Cook/Saute apple slices with some cinnamon til crisp-tender.

Scramble eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper.
    Pour overtop of apples, and continue cooking til done.

Shred cheese overtop. Let melt.

Serve and Enjoy!
    This sounds yummy! No milk added to the eggs when you scramble them? (just confirming I definitely would like to try this out.

ekuw and suern3, thank you for the quinoa recipes, both sound like a nice change from a regular salad. Must cook up some to make both, pretty much have everything on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    This sounds yummy! No milk added to the eggs when you scramble them? (just confirming I definitely would like to try this out.
    I guess that is up to you .... I sometimes do, and sometimes don't!

Glad you are intrigued ... that was just what it did to me and I "had" to try it and find out, good or bad.

It definitely was a winner in my books!
    Bon Appetit!!!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I love a bowl of baby lima beans with fresh chunked garden tomatoes stirred into it. I usually use frozen limas, but would adore to have fresh. Serve with a piece of cornbread, and sweet iced tea with lemon!

I'm Southern, what can I say!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I love a bowl of baby lima beans with fresh chunked garden tomatoes stirred into it. I usually use frozen limas, but would adore to have fresh. Serve with a piece of cornbread, and sweet iced tea with lemon!

I'm Southern, what can I say!
    Jan in VA
    I hated lima beans when I was a kid, but ever since we started growing them in the garden, I have loved them. Even frozen, the way they were served when I hated them!

Blog Entries
    My favorite quick and cool meal includes vegan cream cheese, avocado and dill. You can use regular cream cheese if you are eating dairy.

A good baguette. cut and toast two slices.

mix as much dill as you like in a hardy serving of cream cheese, salt and pepper.

Mash a half an avocado with a spritz of lemon or lime juice, (l like lime)

spread cheese on toast and top with avocado, sprinkle more dill, salt and pepper.

This is easy, cool and filling, protein in dairy and good stuff in avocado.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I was wondering what to have for supper tonight... I think it's going to be that apple omelet! Sounds utterly fascinating.

I'm also dieting and I live alone, so I feel your pain about meals. Lots of the time I have cereal for supper too! I do have another omelet recipe that I love, that most people think is weird. It actually came out of one of my WW handbooks. Very easy - cook a little bit of whole wheat spaghetti (I think the measurement I use is 2 ounces). Chop it up into little pieces. Beat up your egg(s) and add the spaghetti pieces and some chopped grape tomatoes or whatever other veggie you have on hand. Cook it up like any other omelet. Voila! Very filling and low in points if you're a WW.

Another thing I love to make is spaghetti squash. I cook one on the weekend and keep in the fridge for the rest of the week. I have two favorite ways to eat it. First way is to simply heat up the spaghetti squash with some seasonings, and put a poached egg on top. When you cut into the egg, the yolk infuses the squash and gives it an awesome flavor. Another way is to put the spaghetti squash into a microwavable container and add one wedge of "Laughing Cow Light" cheese. Microwave until the cheese softens up and mix it in... it's like mac & cheese only much more healthy!

This is joke I saw printed the other day and I just have to insert it here: Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?

It's a joke, OK ?

Here's one to add to your list. It tastes super fresh! I cut this recipe in half for the 2 of us. I got this from joannweir.com years ago.

FETTUCCINE WITH TOMATOES, BASIL & BREAD CRUMBS
    1 cup very coarse fresh bread crumbs*
    6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes, halved (cut up large tomatoes works well too)
    2 cups red cherry tomatoes, halved
    12 ounces dried fettuccine
    1/2 cup basil leaves, cut into thin strips

Preheat the oven to 375F
    * (Choose a coarse textured county-style or artisan loaf for the breadcrumbs. Tear off large chunks and pulse them briefly in a food processor to make coarse crumbs.) Place the bread crumbs on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and toss the crumbs to distribute the oil evenly. Season the bread crumbs with salt and pepper. Bake in the middle of the oven, tossing occasionally, until they turn golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
    In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and stir together. Set aside.
    Fill a large pot three-fourths full of salted water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes or according to the directions on the package.
    Drain the pasta and toss with the tomatoes and vinaigrette. Place in a serving bowl and garnish with basil and bread crumbs. Serve immediately.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
    Summer has finally arrived in Vermont where one day it was 46 degrees and the next day 90. I'm looking for some easy vegetarian meals for hot weather. I am tired of salad every night, but don't want to cook too much (I'd rather be quilting!).
    There is a great vegetarian site called "cookieandkate.com" I am vegetarian and make a lot of her recipes. You can sign up for her emails and will receive recipes during the week.

i have been using grated cauliflower for rice and quiche crusts and for pizza crusts. no carbs. Also will do a can of chick peas -kinda smash them with vegan mayo and shallots and top that on toast and melt a cheese on top or just feta and some sprouts

Thanks for all the great suggestions. My teenage granddaughter is a vegetarian and I'm always looking for something to fix when she visits. I'll check back for more recipes. I like the tried and true aspect. By the way, we made portabella pizzas with basil pesto instead of tomato sauce and they were yummy. I have to confess I added some pepperoni to mine. Teehee!

My 'go to' quick meal, esp. when traveling as a diabetic, is peanut butter, oatmeal and a piece of fruit. I sometimes heat water in the hotel room coffeemaker and pour it over a few spoonsful of oatmeal or sometimes just dip a spoonful of peanut butter into the uncooked oatmeal and eat it that way. It supplies protein, fat and carbs with a good amt of fiber. It's handy for a quick meal at home. Another easy, but nutritious meal is a pot of soup....and that will last several days. Use lots of vegetables and season with herbs and spices....I usually sprinkle into my cup, turmeric, ground ginger, curry powder, etc. and pour hot soup over it. Yesterday, I found this jar of crunchy peanut butter with flax and chia seeds. It's very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If the Grim Reaper wants us, he'd better put on his running shoes!

QuiltE, I finally tried your apple omelet recipe this morning.... OMG delicious!! Thank you!! This will definitely be a go-to quick meal for me from now on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast