Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What to make for . . . ? >

What to make for . . . ?

What to make for . . . ?

Old 09-20-2019, 12:09 AM

It’s not that I don’t like cooking - although I can think of a lot of things I would rather be doing - it’s the having to do it every day that bugs me!
Old 09-20-2019, 01:07 AM

I live alone and actually find myself asking me the same question! LOL. Cooking just seems to take so much of the time that I would prefer doing something else. I do try to cook and prepare several things on the days I feel like it and put part in freezer for another day of "I don't want to cook". At least if I feel like toast and eggs or popcorn for dinner, no one else is annoyed. I think my biggest issue is I get tired of eating the sme things and am always on the lookout for something new and different and quick and easy. Thus I check this part of the forum daily looking for ideas!!
Old 09-20-2019, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

My interest in cooking took a big jump when I got my first instant pot. Now I have 3 and most of the time I cook in one or more of them. I go to the gym 4 weekdays in the am (retired - quilting not the only thing I enjoy or do) and on the way home think “what should I cook” and google a recipe or two and stop at the little Kroger on the way home. I can get in and out in a short amount of time. I don’t mind a grocery store at all because when I go they are relatively empty. Later in the day is when I go into my sewing room if I am going in at all that day, so it is nice to put up the meal, do basic cleanup (Mr Stitchnripper does the meal cleanup) and come down when we are ready to eat to a delicious meal. Leftovers always a bonus. It isn’t as hard to think of anything for us and we don’t entertain any more but sometimes we get out of town houseguests and that is harder. So we go out.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:05 AM

When I ask my DH if he wants chicken or beef he will answer yes. He has finally figured out to give one or the other. If yes is the answer we go out to eat. LOL
Old 09-20-2019, 05:29 AM

That was my problem too so when they said "whatever you want to make" I'd come back with I don't want to make anything so let's go out to eat. Most times that fixed the problem and they'd mention something to me then. I love to cook but I'm alone now so don't care to cook just for me. But I do make large pots of soup using items from the garden mostly, make enough to freeze half and eat the other half between other meals. Now my sister loves to cook and loves to try out new recipes. We've been having a bumper crop in our gardens this year so we've been looking for recipes to use it up. Its been fun being her guinea pig this summer.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:38 AM

When I had to cook for other family members, I would write down meals for at least a week at a time. This took the pressure off of me and I could plan my shopping accordingly. It only takes a few minutes to sit down and write down some favorite meals. You can even take some time and look for recipes online or look through your favorite cookbook.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:59 PM

I don't mind cooking, even though it is just for me. I look at what vegetables I have in the fridge, and make a skillet dinner with them, adding pasta if there are tomatos involved, or rice if there are not. Sometimes I do something different like a pizza. Tomorrow I think it will be cauliflower cheese.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

he, he. my son now lives with me and i was never a great cook. he asks what i put in things, the ever wanting to know everything guy. Now i fix myself something and he comes in and does the same. once in awhile one of us will actually cook something for more than one person!
Old 09-21-2019, 04:52 AM

I tell grandkids who go to college: if you have cooked eggs, cooked potatoes & cold rice in the refrigerator you won’t go hungry. Those are meal starters.

I cook big cuts of meat then it stretches for extra meals & I think cheaper too. 3# meatloaf to warm up & add a vegetable & salad. This week I cooked a turkey breast so it fed us 3 days, just a vary the sides but I have a husband who never complains.

One grandson & his wife both work, have a baby & live 10 miles from a grocery store, so they plan out their weekly menu & shops after work on Friday. She has a grocery store near her work but their plan eliminates stopping all the time.

Being efficient to me is is all about planning.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

The kitchen is mainly my husband's playroom so I don't cook much. He loves to and I love that he loves to!!