Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite rhubarb recipe?

My rhubarb is soon going to overtake my garden if I don't start using some of it. Anyone have a favorite recipe using rhubarb?

My Aunt used to make the BEST rhubarb pie -- I don't have the recipe though, sorry.

I don't like rubarb so therefore I don't have any recipes.

crisp, crunch, bread, just about anything rhubarb I like just google rhubarb and you will fine a couple of sites that only have rhubarb recieps on them. Just made crunch today it was great.

Blog Entries
    This is delicious, Everyone loves it!!! i double it and do it in a deep dish
    Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble

May 2010
    Ingredients
    3/4 cup all purpose flour
    2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar
    Large pinch of salt
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
    1/2 cup husked hazelnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
    1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
    1 pound strawberries, hulled, halved (about 4 cups)
    12 ounces rhubarb (preferably bright red), ends trimmed, stalks cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
    Vanilla ice cream
    Preparation
    Combine flour, 2/3 cup sugar, and salt in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Add butter. Rub in with fingertips until mixture sticks together in clumps. Mix in oats and nuts. DO AHEAD Topping can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
    Preheat oven to 375F. Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Place 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; whisk to blend well. Add strawberries and rhubarb to sugar in bowl; toss to coat well. Scrape fruit filling into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle oat topping evenly over filling.
    Bake crumble until filling bubbles thickly and topping is crisp, about 45 minutes

Thank you Sandra...that does sound DELISH!

Blog Entries
    Everyone loves it and I always make so much when I bake I share!!! today i sent the visiting nurse a 1/2 sheet of brownies to share with the office when I make this the mechanic and his lovely wife and father mother get there share. if you get little pie tins you can make a few extra to share with friends hazel nuts can be pricy here think about changing it out with almonds or another you might think would go with it.

Just cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces, steam in a little water with lid on pot, add a little corn starch and a liberal amount of sugar, stir to thicken and serve over steamed potato cubes either hot or chilled. We make and use it like apple sauce. I'll be right there! I just broke the bank buying a large bundle at the store for $2.50 a pound. It brings back so many good memories of growing up in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Just cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces, steam in a little water with lid on pot, add a little corn starch and a liberal amount of sugar, stir to thicken and serve over steamed potato cubes either hot or chilled. We make and use it like apple sauce. I'll be right there! I just broke the bank buying a large bundle at the store for $2.50 a pound. It brings back so many good memories of growing up in Europe.
    Where did you buy it? I have a friend in Santa Monica who's looking for some.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I figure I got thru nearly 60 yrs without tasting rhubarb and I don't want to ruin my record now. my mom loved the pie but never got us kids to try it. but the above receipe sounds good. maybe I'll make it for my kids.

Stewed is just fine with me, plain or with some bananas or pineapple added for a treat!

Love mixing it with yogurt, or as an ice cream topping.

I like to cook in the microwave fresh/frozen chopped rhubarb with my oatmeal along with cinnamon. sweetener/sugar and milk. A great way to start the morning .... or sometimes in the evening instead of dessert!

I don't have to have the fancy desserts ... though I can totally enjoy them!

Blog Entries
    Rhubarb Upside down Cake
    1/4 cup butter, melted in bottom of 9 x 13 pan
    1 3 oz package Strawberry Jello, dry, sprinkled over butter
    10 oz minature marshmallows, spread over Jello
    4+ cups cut rhubarb, spread in pan
    1 French Vanilla cake mix prepared by directions on the box - maybe slightly less water. Pour into pan.

Bake at 350 for most of an hour. Cover lightly with foil at the end if the center doesn't get done easily. Remove from oven, let stand five minutes, run a knife around the edge and turn out onto a platter. Scrap any goo unto the cake. It's so pretty, you don't want to waste it.

Serve warm or cold. Good with a little whipped cream or Cool Whip.

Second would be Rhubarb Crisp. Third, just steamed rhubarb served cold over ice cream. Rhubarb Muffins.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Rhubarb Upside down Cake
    1/4 cup butter, melted in bottom of 9 x 13 pan
    1 3 oz package Strawberry Jello, dry, sprinkled over butter
    10 oz minature marshmallows, spread over Jello
    4+ cups cut rhubarb, spread in pan
    1 French Vanilla cake mix prepared by directions on the box - maybe slightly less water. Pour into pan.

Bake at 350 for most of an hour. Cover lightly with foil at the end if the center doesn't get done easily. Remve from oven, let stand five minutes, run a knife around the edge and turn out onto a platter. Scrap any goo unto the cake. It's so pretty, you don't want to waste it.

Serve warm or cold. Good with a little whipped cream or Cool Whip.

Second would be Rhubarb Crisp. Third, just steamed rhubarb served cold over ice cream. Rhubarb Muffins.
    YUM! That sounds SO good! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Stewed is just fine with me, plain or with some bananas or pineapple added for a treat!

Love mixing it with yogurt, or as an ice cream topping.

I like to cook in the microwave fresh/frozen chopped rhubarb with my oatmeal along with cinnamon. sweetener/sugar and milk. A great way to start the morning .... or sometimes in the evening instead of dessert!

I don't have to have the fancy desserts ... though I can totally enjoy them!
    I never thought of adding it to oatmeal or yogurt. Both sound really good. I'll have to try that!

Blog Entries
    Yum. I grew up "sneaking" it from the garden. For an extra treat we would smuggle out a little bowl of sugar, then dip the end of the rhubarb and munch away. I still like it like that. My rhubarb patch is new and I am impatiently waiting for nice mature stalks. It makes a great coffee cake topping.

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    Yum. I grew up "sneaking" it from the garden. For an extra treat we would smuggle out a little bowl of sugar, then dip the end of the rhubarb and munch away. I still like it like that. My rhubarb patch is new and I am impatiently waiting for nice mature stalks. It makes a great coffee cake topping.
    We did the same thing with a stalk and a bowl of sugar. That sure brings back memories!

Love it too.Will have to get some for hubby.He really likes it.

In Norway we make rhubarb soup and it is wonderful.

Cut rhubarb into pieces and pour water over and bring to a boil in saucepan
    When rhubarb is extremely soft add sugar (enough to sweeten to your taste)
    Place it all in a blender
    Pour into a bowl and allow to cool
    Serve cold with cream poured over it.

Wonderful dessert or healthy treat before bed for the kids

Rhubarb Mousse delicious!
    4 cups diced rhubarb
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    3 oz. strawberry jello
    1/2 cup cold water
    1/2 cup whipping cream

Combine rhubarb, sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to boil. Cover and cook over medium /low heat 8 to 10 minutes. Add the jello. Cook and stir until dissolved. Then stir in the 1/2 cup cold water. Chill until partially set (about 2 hrs.) You can make it to this point and finish it the next day or at a later time.
    Whip Jello mixture until fluffy. Fold in the whipped cream. Spoon into a serving dish. Let it set in the frige about an hour to blend flavors. Garnish w/strawberries. Servers 6-8.

Rhubarb Desert (upside down)

Put 5 cups diced rhubarb in 9x13 pan
    Mix 1 small pkg. strawberry jello and 1 cup sugar together... sprinkle over the rhubarb evenly.
    1 box white cake mix...prepared as per box instructions.
    Put cake batter over top.
    Bake at 325 for 55-65 minutes. Let cool & refrigerate. Cut and flip over on plate...serve with cool whip.
    It will have a congealed topping when flipped over.
    ***This is our favorite*****

Cook with a little sugar in a double boiler for sauce

When I was about 10 I heard this recipe on the radio and wrote it down. Told Mom about it later and we made some and have been making it and sharing it for 60 years now. I believe the lady on the radio was Mary Margaret McBride.
    We lived in the country and in the summer during a shower or light rain my sister, me and 5 brothers would use the big leaves for umbrellas.
    What fun we had.
    I have a good reipe for Rhubarb Custard Pie also. Mom said it was just like her mother made. Let me know if you want it.

Rhubarb Jam
    5 c rhubarb, cut in 1/2 imch pieces
    1 c crushed pineapple, drained
    4 c. sugar
    1 pkg strawberry jello (3 oz size)

Mix rhubarb, sugar and pineapple in a large heavy pan. Boil 15 minutes until clear. Take from the stove and add dry jello. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

Note...I make a double batch and use a large can of pineapple (20 oz.) Yummmm.
    Good on ice cream too.

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Same here. It used to grow like a weed in our garden in England, but it is too warm here :-( We used to love eating raw rhubarb dipped in sugar - yum!

We moved a year ago and the first thing I planted was rhubarb. Unfortuately, we have to wait another year or two before we start to harvest. In the meantime, I've been adding to my collection of rhubarb recipes to try! First recipe is a very simple rhubarb sauce that was a childhood treat as is. I've also made the strawberry rhubarb crisp. Last three recipes are some that I want to try! I LOVE strawberry rhubarb pie but had never thought about peach rhubarb pie.

By the way, rhubarb is very easy to freeze. I just clean it, cut it into pieces. measure 2 cup amounts for freezer containers or bags, and throw into the freezer.

Rhubarb Recicpes

Blog Entries
    I absolutely LOVE rhubarb. I have loved it since I was a little girl. My Aunt Vi used to send me home with a jar everytime I visited her. I will have to dig out my rhubarb cake recipe later and post it here. Looking forward to everyone else's recipes. :-D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast