Thread: Flynn frame
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 01:39 PM
nursie76

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i'm one of those people who have it, use it with success, and i've done king size quilts on it.

learning to quilt on a frame is completely different then sitting at your machine and doing FMQ.

just as you had to learn sitting FMQ you have to put in the time to learn FMQ on a frame, either flynn or any other brand.

i use this frame with a 5 inch throat and while i have limitations its not with the frame - its with the 5 inch throat machine.

if you baste your quilt and pull out the middle rod you have the ability to quilt 15 inches - so clearly a 12 inch block wouldn't be a problem if you have a machine with a large enough throat.

95% of the time i baste my quilt first, pull out the middle rod, and then i do the detailed quilting. this allows me to advance the quilt forward/back with the needle down to quilt a 12 inch design without having to cut the threads.
Do you mean you put the quilt on the frame and using the frame, machine baste, and then reroll the quilt on the frame pull out the middle rod and then do the actual quilting?