Old 05-17-2010, 07:30 AM
sam_98

I would like the employees to be quilters, or at least be really knowledgeable. There is one LQS that I frequent (in Florida) where the employees seem to not know much about quilting.

I did lots of quilting eons ago, and am in the process of making my first quilt in years.

My first experience in this store I was picking out fabric. I like to get the fabric that might work, and when I get home I then take my time and decide which fabrics to use. If I need more and see the way the quilt is going to evolve, I must make another trip to LQS, and likely to another LQS too.

I was picking out fabric with my pregnant daughter in law for a baby quilt. We had one fabric we had decided on, and had another fabric we liked. The clerk didn't think the fabrics would look very good together. So we decided not to buy the second fabric. Doesn't she know quilters ALWAYS BUY EXTRA FABRIC..if not used on this project...GREAT for STASH.

As the quilt evolved, the first fabric wasn't used, but the one we DIDN'T buy would work great. So back to LQS to buy the fabric. As the quilt top was nearing completion, and what I had picked for back wasn't wide enough. So back to couple LQS to find a fabric wide enough. The same fabric I had passed on the first time was wide enough. I was going to buy twice what I needed, as I would be going back north and thought I should buy more in case I needed it. I wouldn't be able to come buy more. The clerk acted shocked that I wanted so much. "Why would I buy the extra, when you only need so much." Doesn't she know quilters ALWAYS BUY EXTRA FABRIC..if not used on this project...GREAT for STASH.

Another time, I had questions about thread, but she couldn't answer it. I like to go into a quilt shop, and ask questions, and have them at least know as much as I might know.

Now I expect in this shop they won't know much. I have no idea if it has even been the same person, or different people. Now I am sure the owner is very knowledgable, and when she is there it would be a much different experience.

This shop has BEAUTIFUL, unique fabrics, and has a GREAT feel with all the beautiful fabrics.

As I still need to pick the binding fabric for the current quilt, I hope it isn't the above fabric that would work best. Because I listened to the clerk, and didn't buy the extra.

I would imagine the owner would be horrified that the clerk(s) would discourage buying extra fabric.