Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Aurora

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by Aurora
I am going to try this again. Last night I bought a 1910 Red Eye on ebay. I plan to convert it to a handcrank and leave it in the case. I feel very lucky to have found such a beautiful machine and I don't even have to remove the motor since it was originally a treadle. I will post a picture when it arrives at its new home. It will be shipped Monday via FedEx, so I should have it by the end of next week.

I have been looking for just the perfect machine to convert since I found out how easy it is to convert a machine to a handcrank. I am sure it will take some practice, but I plan to use it to piece quilt tops this summer.
Aurora, have you ever seen the movie or BBC series House of Elliott? It is an interesting story about two sisters in England during the 1920s who opened a clothier shop. In one of the series the maid is given a handcrank and uses it... quite proficiently. It is on for about 3 minutes or so but I was very delighted when I saw. I had just purchased two handcranks. :-D
Years ago I watched the "House of Elliott" on A & E. I really liked that show but just remember bits and pieces of it. They could bring it back on TV and I wouldn't complain. I have been practicing feeding my fabric through with one hand, in anticipation. If you don't sew at the speed of light it really isn't hard to control. Now that I am retired, the pleasure for me is as much in the process as the product.