View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 AM
amma
Power Poster

It costs us about $2 to charge your credit card, and it costs about $3 to print your order, pull your item(s) off the shelf, check your order, and pack it up. This doesn't count the cost of cutting fabrics. And of course, we had to buy the item you're buying, and pay postage for it to get to us.

Physical stores have these very same expenses... They have to pay someone to stock the shelves, cut the fabrics, and check you out at a register, and pay for the shipping fees on their stock. BUT they don't tack on a $3 service fee if I only purchase one yard of fabric, or a couple of small items.

With that kind of overhead, orders under $10 just don't pull their own weight, and would cost us money to process. We want to stay in business. We hope you want us to stay in business, so please forgive us for imposing this minimum. Since everything we sell is at a discount, and since adding a small item or two usually does not increase your postage charges, we hope it's not too much of an inconvenience to add a spool of thread or pack of needles to your order if necessary.

When I see this, I feel like I am penalized for not buying more than what I really want to buy. If they can "coerce" me into a another purchase or two, THEN they want my business?

If you do place an order under $10, you'll pay a $3 handling charge, plus shipping. You'll have the choice of shipping by First Class, which can cost as little as $.43 for one pattern. That way, if you really just want a $5 item, you can pay a total of $8 to $10 for the item, the handling, and the postage. We still don't think that's very economical, but it probably beats driving to the store to pick up the same item, especially if you don't live near a quilt shop

I buy online for the convenience and price... BUT I give up being able to see the "true" colors and the feel of the fabric. So if I start feeling like the convenience is getting too expensive, I will combine the need of fabric and notions with a days outing/entertainment and pick them up in person. Most LQS/fabric stores have specials and clearance :D The $20-$25 I spend in gas for a days worth of entertainment is pretty inexpensive considering the cost of other entertainment like dinner and a movie that only last a few hours :wink: