Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 AM
SewExtremeSeams

Yes, it was in 7th grade home ec, on a treadle, and it was a fixed waist line gathered skirt, made of polished cotton. I know, that dates me. Electric machines were well established, I think the school just got a good deal on treadles or something. I loved the skirt and wore it for many years.

Mom tells me I wanted to sew since I was 5 but she felt inadequate about teaching me. So sad since she learned to sew in her early teens at her Auntie's wedding gown/formal wear factory in San Fransisco. She pinned everything and then hand basted over that before sewing on the machine. Tedious and meticulous work. She sewed all of our clothes for years.

I bought my first machine when my first daughter was born and have loved sewing ever since.

Thank you everyone for a walk down memory lane and for your wonderful stories. It is good to look back and see where we came from.

Just a note: look how many of us learned to sew in home ec classes. And 'they' decided that home ec classes aren't needed in our schools anymore. It delights my heart to no end when I see young people enjoying sewing!