Old 05-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Ada Shiela

Knitted blackboard duster at age 4 (1944)mother knitted houndstooth pattern waistcoats we sat and learned after she refused to teach me how to weave coloured wools in and out-she said we'd watched her often enough to know; knitted red sweater with bunny on for neighbour's child at age 11 then knitting gloves and sweaters for orphans at convent school; Mother sat at Singer treadle sewing machine day and night sewing 280 blouses a week-she became Britain's 'best home sewer' went to convent school at 14 and learned hand embroidery, dressmaking our outfits for leaving school at age 16 then made own clothes for most of life and clothes for children, including clothes for Cindy, Paul & other dolls including little bent knee rubber dolls 1.5" high!! doll blankets etc for little wooden cradles;hand embroidering for big firm 1958 sewing tapestries and church banners; Secretary all my life but knitted in spare time on buses, trains and in cinemas as well as for fashion designer until 1985. Machine knitting 8 years or so helping Camp Quality (Cancer support for children) with leg warmers and beanies Then into hand patchwork etc until today when I still don't sit still for a minute - I'll be 70 in June!!