Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 PM
bstanbro

Originally Posted by Lacelady

The pic isn't all that clear, but have you considered appliqueing the centres of the suns? You could cut out thin card exactly the shape required, put it on your fabric, trim to about 1/4 inch larger all round (or a little larger), and then iron the excess over the card. To get it to lay flat, you might have to run a small gathering stitch through the seam allowance first. Allow it to cool, then remove the card. Turn the patch over, and applique onto your block.
That might work. I'm doing okay with the "rays" of the suns. It's just when I put the solid quarter circle together with them that causes me grief. There are two sets of four suns, mirror images of one another. I could use the same template for both by turning it over to the other side. Even if I have to top-stitch over it, I think it would bette than what I'm doing now. And since they're already cut for a quarter-inch seam, I could use the same pattern for the template that I used to cut the suns in the first place. I'll give it a try on the next block and see how it goes. Thanks for a good idea.