Old 05-30-2010, 10:37 AM
danmar

Originally Posted by Mariah
So beautiful! How long did it take to make all of the stars, and get it set together?
Couldn't tell if it was hand or machine quilted!
Love it!
Mariah
Thank you, Mariah! I started making the blocks on Sept. 12, 2009. Originally it was going to be for me, until I showed Shawna pictures by email and talked to her. (Then it became hers.) There were several 'delays' in making the top as I had to wait for Shawna to see what size she wanted it, and other things. I made a couple of rag quilts, and worked on other quilts while I was waiting for Shawna to answer questions. I also sent her pictures of all of my materials so she could pick out the colors that she liked and she could match them up.

Anyways, I had all 56 blocks made and the top completed on Nov. 21, 2009, so it took approximately 2 1/2 months to make the top. I thought that was really good. I thought it was going to take a lot longer when I first started it.

As for hand or machine quilted, it is actually hand tied. Shawna likes the looks of the hand tied quilts. I put 25 ties per block, every 3". Plus, I used 2 colors of embroidery thread for each block. They were "color coordinated" to match each block.
There are 74 different fabrics in the top and 90 different colors of embroidery in the ties! It was definitely a Labor of Love and I loved every minute of it. It brought Shawna and I a lot closer.