Old 05-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Sandyb

I concur with you. I believe we are doing a disservice to our younger people by not exposing them to these courses. I own my own home and I do the little things that I can but everything else I have to hire done. I learned to sew and cook in Home Ec. class. My nieces and great nieces come to me for alterations, sew a loose hem, etc. because they didn't take the time to learn those skills. I suggested to my great niece that she take a Home Ec. class and her mother (my niece) said she didn't need to learn those skills because my great niece was going to be able to hire everything done after she graduates from High school and college. We all know how life doesn't always go as we plan.
Originally Posted by 978gray
As a food technologist - I am the one who thinks up new foods for people to eat and cook in their homes - and a parent of two boys - I firmly agree that sewing and cooking is a life skill. Both boys and girls shoudl take these classes and the girls should also take basic wood craft and homr repair.

Male and females loose buttons on their shirts and sooner or later both gender also have to use a hammer, nails and screw driver.

The school districts, state governemnts and federal goverment need to understand that basic life skill include more than reading, writing, math, it also includes safely feeding oneself, how to clean one clthes and keep in good repair.

Hopefully things will turn around and schools will start teaching these subjects again.