Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM
grammypatty7

I don't remember exactly how old I was but perhaps 8 - 10 maybe. Mom had bought us a set of Child Craft books and one had all kinds of fun craft ideas in it and one that really took my fancy and imagination was a sock doll using a pair of mans work socks. I'm amazed I didn't get into big trouble as money was very tight then. Dad worked the loading dock at a steel mill and Mom work nights in the canteen to supplement the income so she slept during the day. One day I decided to use a pair of Dad's work socks, without permission, and used Mom's treadle sewing machine (I'd spent hours watching her sew our dresses and clothes) and made the cutest doll. I took my allowance money and walked a few blocks to the dime store and bought some cotton to stuff the socks and I didn't know that there was special stuffing to use and actually spent more than necessary and bought the first aid cotton. Then of course I had to make an outfit to dress the doll. I do remember making more than one and using my allowance money to buy more socks as I didn't use Dad's after that. When I needed a new pair, Mom would take me to the store to buy a new pair and I had a lot of fun making those dolls. I didn't get any formal sewing instruction until 7th grade home ec and then I had home ec each year through my sophomore year in high school. My junior year I had to begin college prep courses so that was the end of home ec. After I was married, I made most of our children's clothes when they were preschoolers and did my son's 8th grade graduation suit and it looked as nice as the expensive store bought ones and did two beautiful dresses for our daughter for homecoming in highschool. Over the years I did a variety of garments but now it's all quilting - quilts fit everyone and are loved and appreciated.