Thread: Overcoming Fear
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 PM
sabrinaquilts

Originally Posted by janet bales
Thanks for all that all of you have taught me as a quilt newcomer. One thing I guess I am ashamed to admit but I need help with is overcoming fear. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous but my husband offers to hold my hand as I start quilting. I do not know if I am afraid of failing, but I have difficultly getting in my room to start really quilting process. I have read books, have great stuff to quilt with, and read your helping topics but overcoming getting started is huge. HELP!
I was the same way. Before quilting I could not sew, mend, or hand stitch a straight line. I did not think I could quilt but I had always wanted to and admired them. What will help because it helped me was to have a quilting friend help you. We picked Eleanor Burns' Quilt in a Day Log Cabin. It is a very good beginner's quilt. Because this will be a beginner's quilt don't worry yourself about buying the really good fabrics. I used my friend's stash and what little stash I had accummulated over the years. You sew strips. There are no triangles or anything on point either. I was hooked after my first quilt. You will have a friend there to make the "first cut" and then you will do the rest. You will have a friend there to tell you not to worry because they made the same mistakes and show you how to fix it. You will also have a friend that will most likely have many of the quilting equipment for you to try first before you buy. :thumbup:

My first quilt was king size. I made many mistakes like using the selvage because I was in cheap mode at that time. My batting was not big enough so I cut my last border so I can have a more square quilt. Another big mistake.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77705[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77700.jpe