Thread: Copyrights
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Roben

Originally Posted by Honchey
She gives permission to teach the class. she even gives you guidelines on how many hours per day for the amount of classes you want. She gives you permission to do almost everything except pass the book around or copy her photos . That's why I didn't bring the book to class. I used my quilt as an example so they had something to look at. I'm not selling anything. It's almost the same as the one block wonder just a different shape. There are tutorials on the OBW on this board showing photos of the technique wouldn't that be the same?? Now I'm getting confused ! When you buy a book and learn something can you not pass it on?
There are several well-known authors/quilters that will certify others to teach their methods - and the rule without exception is that each student must purchase their own copy of the book/pattern/tool. I follow that rule; it is simply not fair that I profit from someone else's hard work and reputation. I didn't dream this stuff up, work out the technique, etc. - the person that did deserves the credit for that.

I'm biased, I'll admit; I am a certified QIAD instructor. I went through all the requirements to get certified to teach methods that I am excited about. I use those methods in putting together my own original designs - so I made sure I had permission to be teaching those techniques even when the class is on my designs. In my mind, it was just the right thing to do.