View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
JudyG

Originally Posted by Belles
Originally Posted by JudyG
Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
Originally Posted by Gramakitten
You can cut a 12 in block in half and it will be 6". I have a calendar that has a lot of six in blocks in it. Also I have a couple of foundation pieced books that have lots. It is easy to draft any 9 patch block into a six in block. PM me if you need more info. Kathi
So let's say the pattern calls for a 4 1/2" piece I would cut 2 1/2" instead? And do that for all the pieces in the block?
Mish, If it calls for a 4 1/2" piece, you would cut it 2 1/4". If you find a specific block you like that you want to reduce in size, let us know and we'll work through it here. Everyone on the board is really good about helping.
Actually it is not reduced exactly in half. Remember the seam allowance. For a cut 4-1/2" block, you must eliminate the 1/2" which is the seam allowance. Then half the 4" that remains to 2" AND put the seam allowance back on for a 2-1/2" cut square. If you have a cut 3-1/2" block on a 12-1/2" unfinished block, you'd take out the 1/2" seam allowance, divide the 3" in half to 1-1/2", put back the seam allowance, so you would then cut the square 2". Since each cut square has 1/2" seam allowance, cutting it with just 1/4" seam allowance would be too small. If you have a question about how to cut for a half square triangle, PM me and I'll give you the detailed formula.
You are absolutely right, Belles. I apologize, Mish, my brain was not quite working correctly. :oops: :oops: Good thing we have lots of people on this board who can catch those types of errors.