View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 06:01 AM
gollytwo
Banned

Originally Posted by DebraK
If you want to be successful, you will probably want representations of all colors.
ditto

it's the type of fabric you carry that's important. If you haven't already - do a little MR in your local community. E.g. - they like small motifs, large flowers, Asian, panels, batiks, novelties, repros, whatever. It doesn't matter what we on the Board like unless we live in your town.

If you have local guilds, distribute an inclusive list asking them to rate # 1 thru #3 their favorite type of fabric.
Have a quilt made and displayed of new fabrics (pay someone to do it if you haven't time) And, if you do this make sure you have sufficient supply of the fabrics used in it. To my amazement I learned from a friend who worked in a shop that customers wanted exactly the fabrics used in the quilt. Singular lack of imagination - but there you go.

I rarely shop in one of my LQS; he carries fabric that I find boring. However, he does very good business because it sells well here. As they said in The Music Man - you gotta know the territory.
Good luck - make it happen!