Old 06-19-2010, 01:21 AM
davis2se

I have Singer that was made to be used in home ec classes in school. Totally gear driven, no electronics, and I love that machine. It is just a total workhorse. Bought it at one of those "special" sales at JoAnne's. Also have a small Baby Lock embroidery machine (the Sophia model) that I really do like. I'm seriously considering trading it in on a much larger, slightly used model (Ellegante I think is the name) with a much larger throat and the ability to embroider on a field up to 6 x 10 inches. I suggest, like the others, that you visit dealers and try out a variety of machines. But then, I would search out independent sewing/vacuum sales and repair shops. We have one here in Bradenton (FL) that sells used, refurbished machines and gives a full 10 year warranty on any machine they sell. The place has been in business for about 40 years and has a stellar reputation. I've talked to a number of people who have bought their machines there, and not on single complaint. Good luck no matter what route you take.