Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 AM
mpspeedy

In my case Linus quilts are usually just a yard and 1/2 by the width of a children's novelty print or panel sandwhiched with batting and usually a colorful flannel back. I make them envelope style, turn them and use a decorative stitch and colorful thread to simply machine quilt them. The Linus project is nationwide. Women and or men and service groups all over the country make simple or more complicated quilts to be given to children in hospitals, ERs, shelters and or any other situation where they might need a little comfort. Many state troopers and or more local police carry a few in their cruisers for accident victims or children rescued from an abuse situation etc. The chapter I belong to in Carroll County, MD is chaired by a friend of mine. We routinely collect, sort and distribute about 600 quilts a month to various hospitals etc. within a 60 or so mile radious of our county. They can be elaborate quilted creations, crocheted or knitted, fringed fleece or just bound prequilted fabrics. They range in size from isolete size to twin bed size that we save for teens. We get the quilts from church groups, other service organizations, individuals, school children doing service hours etc. etc. Local quilt guilds also support the efforts. Most of the LQS as well as machine dealers and even some of the Walmarts act as drop off points for finished quilts. Volunteers pick them up from those places, record the names of the donors and tag them with a label that says Carroll County Linus Project and then drop them off to a central location where one day a month a group of volunteers sort and bag them for various destinations. Our local county hospital is always first on the list for receiving quilts. Another group of volunteers picks up the bagged quilts and delivers them to the various hospitals and shelters etc.
The group also does a little fundraising to pay for our supplies like bags, the printing of our tags etc and the newsletter postage. A thank you note is sent to every person who donated a quilt at least for the first time they contribute. We raffled off a quilt last year that one member made the top, I handquilted it and others took it around to local festivals and events to sell the tickets.
I don't have any photos of my Linus quilts they come and go so fast.