Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Sheree from Chicago

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
My neighbor invited me to her quilt guild meeting last week and other than her and the lady sitting next to me, I felt like an intruder. I tried to talk to people but got short answers back and no one seemed to want to acknowledge that I was there.

The other thing is, they had a show and tell and the quilts some of these ladies made were stunning, I mean fabulously breathtaking. Mine are small and simple. I'm also more of a doll maker than a quilt maker but the doll groups around me are more for collectors than makers.

I told my neighbor I would like to join but now I don't know if I would just be disappointed or find it a waste of time, and I don't want to pay dues to have to find this out.

I would love to meet a group of people to get together with that enjoy needle arts but I feel put out by this group already. Am I not giving them a fair chance? Has anyone had anything similar happen?
I did go to a guild meeting with a friend as a guest. It was over 350 woman and I felt the same as you did. I chose not to take it personally and decided these women were probably together for a long time and a bit click-ish. Besides my limitations of sitting with my back, I decided it was not for me. Is there any way you could find out who is into quilting/fiber arts in your vicinity and have a get together to work on projects together?