View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Quilting Nana

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
Ok girls, I asked my daughter what she wanted for her birthday thats coming up and she says "I want to be able to buy fabric that I like and you teach me how to make a quilt" :D I am so excited and ready to just leap right in, but I do have one question that I figured you gals would be able to help with. What is a newbies quilt pattern that doesn't look "too easy" She doesn't really seem interested in the charm quilts, so I would need something else. Thanks to all who can share this excitement with me and others who can help me with a pattern.
I have had my granchildren quilting since they were 5.
When my 10 year old granddaughter wanted to make her second I took out my quilt books and we look at easy patterns. Then off we went to JoAnns to pick out fabric. Once we got there she saw the flannel and decided she wanted to make something out of the "soft" material so I told her about a rag quilt.
She loved the idea because she could pick out lots of different cute fabrics.
I had her help with the cutting. She would hold the cutter and I would put my hand on hers.
She decided she didn't like cutting so I was glad that she wanted me to cut.
It took about 8 months to finish the quilt. Mostly because we only got to work on it when she was at my house but she finished it and loves it. She is so proud of herself.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87944.jpe