View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Deborah2009

I was about 10 when I started sewing. Started with hems for my family. Mom, Dad, me with my 3 siblings. All the girls are short, so lots of shortning of pants, jeans.

I would buy her fabric that has a grid already printed on it. That way she can cut on the lines, and trust its straight. A good lesson in using a see thru ruler that has a lip on it to lean against the rotary cutting board. A sharp rotary cutter is good too. Very rewarding to slice down a length of fabric and have it cut perfect; even quicker than scissors, and more accurate.

Just hold down the ruler with your other hand and make sure your matching lines on either end of the cutting pad are even with your ruler.

You can buy her fusible batting for the first batted layer, also saves tons of time and no shifting of the fabric. Still need to quilt it down, probably in even measured square shapes. Diagnonal sewing is harder.

She can also draw her lines with contrast colored fabric pencils so she knows where to sew when the fabric gets under the sewing machine. Use the sew thru rulers and cutting mat for this too. Very rewarding project for her. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ