View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 08:34 AM
kacie

Originally Posted by ThreadsofLife
My daughter is 8 and wants to quilt. Do you think that is to young? If not what type of machine do you think I should get for her. I have a Viking Designer SE and I think it would be to much for her to handle. Please give me your thoughts...
I helped my 7-year-old neighbor make her first quilt. She used my machine with the speed set very low, and as she got more confident, she was allowed to bump up the speed. I showed her the buttons she was allowed to mess with and she did fine. She did her blocks in a log cabin style, and it helped that she liked the wonky scrappy look. I did the cutting and pressing, and most of the pinning, but she did the rest (except for the binding). She fell in love with the seam ripper, which is a good skill to develop! Two years later she made patchwork pillows and did it all with guidance. I don't think it's a matter of age as much as it is a matter of determination and being able to accept guidance and accept that there are some things that she'll need to wait a little bit to do. It was hard for me to cross the line in letting her use the rotary cutter, but with help, she did just fine. Just have fun with it.