View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 03:54 PM
calicocat

Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
Originally Posted by Marye
Originally Posted by sharon b
Ok let me ask another question on the starch issue.... if you spray and wait , how long do you wait ?
Do you wash your quilt after you finish it to get the starch out? Because silverfish love starch and you will see bugs. There is a deep discussion on another group about starch.
Thank you for the tip, I do not want any silverfish. I hate bugs. :x
I use maryellen's best press all the time. While I don't spray starch and store fabrics, and I usually do rinse my quilts after quilting, i have *never* attracted silverfish, moths or anything else to my quilts. I'm not seeing them in my house, so also not in my quilts. If they are a problem in your home, generally, then i would think it is a possibility that your quilts would make good food for them, but I just can't see a quilt sitting on a shelf beoming infested with silverfish b/c you used spray starch in your piecing.

Can anyone else help me understand this thinking? Have you ever had the experience yourself personally that you used spray starch on your fabrics when piecing and you ended up with silverfish in your quilt? And not on others?
I really need to find someone this happened to!! I just don't believe it to be true! :roll:
I believe you would have to have the silverfish first for anything to happen. I have been starching and storing my fabric on open shelves for over 4 years and have never ever seen a silverfish. And I know what they look like.