Thread: Celtic Knots
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt Love
Thank you, for sharing your pictures they are beautiful. I do have the Bias Bars. was wondering did you machine sew? and how did you initial attach the bias. I saw someone posted they use elmers glue.
Originally Posted by Lacelady
I made my own bias, but not with a bias making gadget, I machined a narrow seam down the length of the bias strip, and ironed the seam allowance to one side, using a bias bar inside. Then the tube was appliqued onto backing, with the seam allowance away from me (facing the backing fabric). Bias bars are available in mixed packs of different sizes. Slide one inside your tube, and iron the tube as it comes off the end of the strip. As above, short lengths are fine, because joins can be hidden behind the bridges.
Link for info re bias bars: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1330.asp
I hand sewed it, it's much easier to get round the corners that way - BTW, sew the outside curve first, then ease in the inner curve. If tape wiggles and goes in different directions, if you are hand sewing, you can just switch to the other side - it wouldn't be easy to do that my machine though. I designed this myself - I can buy ends of rolls of newsprint from our local newspaper, and I took a square of that and folded it quite a few times, then drew the paths of the tape on one section, opened it up, and traced those paths onto all the other sections. Tucking a different fabric behind some of the tapes changes a design considerably.