Old 06-26-2010, 06:11 PM
aorlflood

Originally Posted by JCL in FL
I have one of the old PVC frames that are portable. I use to have a large floor frame but it was so restrictive, you had to stay in one room to quilt. I sold it when we down sized to a smaller house. I generally do my larger quilts in sections and I can take the portable frame in the car on trips or to different chairs in the house. I've seen the larger ones at Joanns but haven't seen the smaller ones in a while. I also had a hoop but it took longer to change positions, with this one I just unsnap the bars and move it. Often, I only have three sides snapped because it gives me more play and it's great for getting close to the edges of the quilt.
There are lots of people on this site that don't use frames at all and they do super work. I've been working on not using one but haven't mastered it yet.
I have a 17" pvc hoop that I take on trips with me. I can't seem to quilt in the car, but do love to quilt in the evenings on trips. I found mine just a couple years ago at a quilt shop in FL while on a vacation! :-D