Old 06-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Quilting Nana

Originally Posted by leakus
I am in the mid forties. Cannot wait to retire to have more time to quilt. Less than a month ago, I had the urgency of making a bed quilt for my 5 yr old son. (I'll post a picture when I finish it)- to make the story short. I was looking into my stash to make this quilt for him and I realized of 2 really bad things- or 3.
1- my stash is not really big- I have to keep working on it...
2- I picked some fabrics to start his quilt but didn't have all to finished it- I needed more fabric/s either to combine with the ones I had or the yardage I had was not enough
3- I will have to keep buying fabric for ever!! I have to re-do my figures to ensure I'll have money for it in my retirment plan.
Does it happen to you? Do you think of buying fabric for your future projects? Should I not worry as there will be always websites where to buy fabric... and money to sustain my hobby!
When my 3 sons were young I had to put my sewing away. But I knew the time would come when I would have plenty of time to quilt so I would use my JoAnns coupons to buy my tools.
I buy fabric only when it is on sale and I pretty much know what I am going to use it for.
Now I have grandchildren and I do buy fabric with their favorite characters on it.
I probably have a large stack of Thomas, Toy Story, Little Einsteins, ect.
My 18 month GS wanted a quilt so I got out about 8 different character fabs and put them on the floor I called him in and he just stood there for a few minutes looking. Then he went to the one he wanted and just sat on them.
He got his quilt a few weeks later.
Anyway long story long don't stress just buy what you like and when you come up with a pattern you like you will go out and buy more. :-)