Thread: Memory Quilts
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 02:30 PM
quiltmaker101

Careful what you wish for...
My quilt guild had a presentation in January about Memory Quilts - made from a deceased person's favorite clothes. The ones I saw were New York Beauties, and they were gorgeous. I thought to myself, I wonder if anyone will ever ask me to make one of those?

The very next day Laura asked me could I make 4 quilts from her late best friend's scrub tops?

I explained that I would need a lot of other fabrics to make 4 lap size or better quilts from 6 scrub tops. Well, she went shopping and brought back 28 1/4 yards of fabrics she knew Dena would have loved.

Ya'll I am talking about every kind of print under the sun! Large ears of corn, farm animals, lighthouses, lemons, dragonflies, florals, you name it, that's what she brought. (It made me think of the Quilters' Challenges on Simply Quilts when I said to myself "Good Lord, what could anyone do with that bunch of scraps?")

Of course I smiled and said I would do my best. Mentally kicking myself for letting her shop unsupervised for this project. :x

So I am making the best of this. I am attaching a photo of the third one I have miraculously stretched from those 1/4 yards and 6 scrub tops (and major raiding of my stash!) Its on my design board and not stitched together yet.

I am only showing it here, cause I don't plan to lay claim to these in the future. Go ahead and laugh if you want! I have to laugh these myself. But I know she will be delighted to get the finished projects and give them to Dena's two kids and grandchild. Laura is keeping one for herself.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-56007.jpe