View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Deb G

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
One thing to consider, if the breaker box does explode or spark enough, is anything in front of it catches on fire then the fire will spread. All breaker boxes have metal doors that need to be kept closed and latched. Check you homeowners ins. Many will not cover electrical fire damage if it is proven to be owner's negligence, box not approved, wrong location, not state licensed electrician installed, and many other factors. You don't need to hear that after an electrical fire! Home safety is number one on my list.
We have a parkmodel, 12x30 trailerhouse that we live in during the summer months. It's not that old and the breaker box is level with our bed right along side of it. And it doesn't have a cover, just a door covering it in the same wood as our cupboards. It came right from the factory like that so I don't know if the laws have changed or what but it was up to code when we bought it.
We just had an electrician here a couple weeks ago to do some work and he didn't say anything about it, he works on alot of parkmodels and I'm sure there are lots of them just like ours.
So I don't know what to think now. Maybe I'll check with some of our neighbors that have new homes and see how there's are.