Old 07-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Pati- in Phx

Originally Posted by theresse
Hi I have done both machine and needle turn. I am teaching my self. I find both enjoyable. My first one was machine about 20 y ago. first hand appli 9 months ago. I found it fasinating. I don't know about back basting, seems like a lot of waist of time and energy. but thats my opinion.
Theresse,
I can see where the initial impression of back basting is that it takes more time and energy, but it really doesn't. <G> (Yes I am a firm believer in it, and think that in the long run it saves time and energy. <G> )
Mimi Deitrich (sp???) calls it needle marked applique, BTW. With this method you only trace your pattern once.... on the back of the background fabric. There are no pencil/pen/chalk marks ever made on the right side of the fabric.
The entire design is drawn as it is to be finished (but in mirror image) So there is no fuss about where any piece goes, it is all exactly where you want it.

Everyone has their favorite way of doing things. Which is why there are so many different right ways to do something. But you might give the back basting technique a try on something. You might just be a convert. <VBG>

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx