Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 AM
ruthieg

Originally Posted by granny_59
I am having a big setback in my love to quilting!?
After x-hours (whom am I telling) I got a lovely top with (almost) all points matching and than all I am able to is SID and lousy meandering.........

Why dont I have a problem to make the applique with my marvelous embroidery machine - much better than I ever could do by hand - and at the same time hate the idea to give my top to a professional quilter?

Could it be that the worst would be to add her name on my label??? I dont want to share the credit!
Most of the receivers dont have an idea anyway what kind of work went into that quilt and might end up thinking that I just donated the fabric.

How do you feel about it? If I come up with the idea of a long arm quilting machine my DH might file for divorce :lol:

Granny
I used to send my quilts out to a long arm quilter, but then money got tighter. I bought a long arm machine and frame. I started. Lousy meandering can be quite beautiful ;and is a good way to start . I am now working on a beautiful Baltimore album and as in the "old days" I am marking the whole top with feathers etc. I hope in the future to be able to do feathers without marking. If you meander, chose a backing which won't show the stitching and use a matching thread on the bottom. use meandering to focus on your beautiful quilt top. It does work. I do charity work and always practise what I want to learn on them.