Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Vanuatu Jill

Originally Posted by wraez
Gail, that is sad and downright terrible!

Here is a trick that even clerks at Joanns have told me...take your bolt to be cut and if you have an idea how much is on there, by the number of folds, tell them you want 8 yds, then when they get to that last 38 inches or whatever they are supposed to ask you if you would like that too at 50% off.

Ok, I cannot tell how much is on a bolt by the number of folds, but apparently some people can.

I'm going to guess that the clerk that waited on you was new and had no idea how to figure out what to charge for less than a yd. But I would report them to the manager.

bad business.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Joann's will offer the end of bolt to you at half price. I usually take it, especially if I like the fabric allot, I know I can use it for applique or scrap/fq friendly quilts. My joann's usually has a couple employees floating around, putting back bolts, etc-a young boy working at our Poway shop always asks if I am finding everything I want. They can tell you how to count the folds to estimate how much is left-they have done it for me several times (saves waiting in line to cut and finding out there isn't enough-so you'd have to go back and start over). I should ask them to show me how to do it!