Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 AM
sandybeach

I went to my LQS (we only have 2 in town) the weekend after my birthday. At this LQS you get 20% off during your birthday month for one shopping trip only. So I gathered up a bunch of UFOs and looked on-line for sale prices of batting. They know me by sight because we are in the only Quilt Guild within 90+ miles. They pretty much ignored me because both owners were with other people. When one was available, we started in on my UFOs. I checked their batting (which was on a shelf beyond my reach) but could see no prices, so I passed on that. I asked about a ruler I want (the one you see on Quilt in a Day) that has cutting lines within the ruler spaced 1 or 2 inches apart. They said they do not carry it, but could order it. I asked if I ordered it today, could I pay for it and include it with my 20% discount. The one owner had to go confer with the other and mumbled something about not knowing what the price would be so I passed on that also. I had brought in a piece of fabric that I had previously purchased there and asked if they might have more as I could not find it on their web site or in the store. One owner went "upstairs" and found the bolt (they keep the sale fabric "upstairs" where you can't see it if you come in). I bought all that was left, about 3.5 yards and they still charged me the full price of $9.00+. I did end up spending $100, but I am sure I would have spent twice that much had I: 1) seen the sale fabric, 2) seen the price of batting, and 3) been able to order the ruler. They do sell bag/tote patterns so I took in my last bag to show them in case they might be interested in carrying the pattern. They said it was nice but didn't even write down the pattern name.

Now you know why I buy most things on line.