Thread: Hand Quilting
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 AM
sewcrafty

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by Candace
Although I can appreciate hand quilting, I don't care for the "look" of it and really prefer the artistry of good machine quilting. I decorated modern and don't care for antiques, country decor etc. I think it's important that if you hand quilters want to keep your art going, that you don't put down machine quilters and make comments like "it makes me sick" etc. It's definitely a put-off IMHO when people make disparaging comments about other people's art forms and preferences. Like I mentioned, I don't care for hand quilting, but I'd never make snarky comments about it.

Candace I just went through every post in this thread again and nowhere was anyone disparaging of artistic heirloom quality machine quilting or hand quilting. I did not see one snarky comment and one poster simply said some heavily quilted items make her feel sick, that could be just visual overload, have you never looked at a piece of art that literally made you feel dizzy? Out of all the posts on this thread you pick that one and add an "etc" to it as though we have been trashing machine done quilts?? Everyone has posted nice remarks about the very artistic machine quilting that has been done.

Both styles have their merits when done thoughtfully. I am a fan of both equally and do both! I just don't understand why you posted this
I agree! The original question was why there wasn't a separate catagory for handquilting and machine quilting. I do both, but much prefer the look of hand over machine. You can definitely tell the difference no matter how beautiful it is. Handquilting is something that will definitely take many more hrs, months, etc. to do. Is a totally different art.

As stated, its just a matter of preference. Personally I don't like things heavily quilted either by hand or machine. They may look gorgeous, but are stiff to lay under. I prefer the softer cuddlier kind. Its all a matter of preference. That's all.