Old 07-18-2010, 09:05 AM
JoanneS

Sewing machines: Pfaff 2040, 2170 embroidery (use it for both emb & quilting) - in CT. Don't remember the Pfaff # in AZ, but it's newer than the ones in CT - but it isn't an embroidery machine. I bought my first Pfaff because I wanted the even-feed feature. Never again had to put a walking foot on a sewing machine, and I can use fancy stitches with it, which I could NOT do with a walking foot.

Someone on another thread said you can't sew fancy stitches with Pfaff's even-feed feature. My dealer said she may have confused another 'can't do' feature about the even-feed feature. Some of Pfaff's FEET don't work with the even-feed connection, because it won't 'click' into them, because the BACK of the foot doesn't have the slot for the even feed connection that drops down behind the foot. This explanation is probably clear as mud to non-Pfaff owners. Sorry, but I couldn't think of another way to describe it.

Sergers: Pfaff Hobbylock 4870 serger in Ct; newer Hobbylock in AZ, but I don't remember which model - it has the coverstitch, and I LOVE it.

Re sergers - I took the 'ALL sergers with no fear' class from Jill McCloy a couple years ago, and I no longer fear changing tension. She taught us how to analyze what's wrong with tension & how to fiddle with it. And how to change tension depending on what kind of stitch you want to do. The books (if you still have one) don't really help much - they need translators!