Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM
BKrenning

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Someone mentioned that this machine is very heavy? What do you think? Is it hard to work with?
Which one?
The Voyager
The Voyager is very heavy. You will need a heavy duty frame or sturdy base to put it on. The Hinterberg Stretch & Summit frames, SuperQuilter Pro-Flex, possibly the Grace Pinnacle, or a B-Line tabletop with cabinet base. You must have a sturdy, level frame for any quilting machine to operate smoothly and the heavier the machine, the more critical it becomes.

My Voyager glides like a hot knife through butter with the ProFlex carriage & frame. I played with Voyager on a Summit Frame and it was a little harder to drive around but I don't think the frame was leveled--it was during a quilt show. The frame itself is super strong and much like the ProFlex. The wheels on the carriage are different, though so maybe the wheels on the Pro-Flex make it easier. Folks rave about the Hinterberg Stretch Frame and the Summit is supposed to be an upgraded version of that so I still think the frame just wasn't squared or level.

For the person that asked about using a Janome 6600 on a frame--yes you can. I have the very similar Elna 7200. I quilted with it on my B-Line Studio frame for 4 1/2 years until I got the Voyager with a ProFlex frame in April. I can do anything with the Elna and B-Line that I can do with the Voyager & ProFlex--I just have to roll the quilt more often and adjust my designs to fit the space differently.