View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 AM
dmackey

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Do you want to include only "brick and mortar" shops?

Do you want to include stores/shops that have only a few supplies and fabrics (some small town stores might have an "area" like the old Ben Franklin stores had)?

Will there be a way to let you know when a shop has closed?

An aside/question: Do the shops that are listed in the guides need to pay a fee to be listed/included?

Are you still in the data collection stages? I was wondering what format you will use to share the information. (My computer expertise is pretty limited)

Are you/we giving estimates of whether the shop is small, medium, or large? Or just if it exists - where it is - and when it is open?

I applaud you for taking this on. I really like the idea of having a "as of this date, this info is correct" notation on each entry.

The list is free, not for sale, and open the public. It will be a Google Spread sheet accessible by a link.

I'm not doing anything more complicated than simply creating a list. This will be a great thing for those who travel and will be able to find shops on their route.

I just started collecting data from members and it will be an ongoing process. The most important thing is that the list be compiled of shops that are currently in business. I will state in the list if the shop eventually closes.

I will not put anything judgemental about the shops in the list. I am simply verifying that the shops exist and are open for business, and noting any specialty of the shop.

Shops such as Ben Franklin and Walmart that have fabric are certainly considered a source for quilt shoppers and should be on the list.

Published books are out of date before they are even printed. A complete and accessible internet list for free, will be the most reliable source.

I am not including shops that are only have a website and not a retail outlet. It doesn't matter where they are located because they are only accessible on the web.

Diane