View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 AM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by Julo
What stitch did you use to connect your biscuits? If you used a whip stitch, does the stitching show on one side? I'm wondering what stitch to use so that it can be reversible.

This really appeals to me. I like your ideas of using up scraps or old clothing and making just a few pieces at a time. I figure if I make a few each time I watch television, I should have enough in a year to make a quilt to cover up!
I just used a whip stitch and yes there is a right and wrong side but it really doesn't seem to matter which side is up as it's beautiful both ways. My stitches were very tiny and very close together. It was the best way I could figure out to do them as I'm not fond of spending hours on the sewing machine quilting. I can sew for hours and piece for hours without issue. I suspect it's the weight of working with a quilt that gets to me. Really wears me out as the piece gets larger plus I truly do enjoy hand work so I can be in the same room with hubby in the evenings. I do sew the individual shapes on the sewing machine though and then connect by hand.

If you're into fancy stitching by hand, you probably could use a fancy type embroidery stitch to connect the hexagons so that it would be beautiful on both sides but that would involve more time than I'd personally care to put into it although if one is skilled at such stitching, it probably would work out about the same time wise. Enjoy however you approach it.