Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
rhueluna

Originally Posted by Lacelady
OK, I knew you were going to ask me when I wasn't really ready. I have taken two blocks at random rather than ones that are supposed to go together. I am going to use 3/4in sashing, so I cut a length 1 1/4in wide, and I've stitched it on to the edge of the block (1/4in turnings). Then I have done the same with the block next door. Third pic is from the front. (sashing will get trimmed, but I don't want to do it at the moment because this will be coming off, as they aren't the right blocks). From the back, at the moment, there is too much batting, but when I have the right blocks together, I will ttrim them so that they but up close and tack together. Then finally, from the front, I will quilt two lines, 1/4in from each block. The whole lot is only done with batting on the back. Once I have the whole top done, then I will add backing, and quilt in the ditch around each block to hold the backing onto the back. For me, this suits me because I can do all the quilting by hand, a bit at a time, and I'm not going to be handling a large quilt until right at the end, and then it will only be straight quilting lines. I decided that I'm not bothered that my quilting on the blocks won't show on the back.
Thank you. That was the answer I was waiting for. Sounds like a good way to go. I may try this some day. I am still in the quilting through all 3 layers, but with something like Dear Jane, that way makes a lot of sense since the blocks are so small. I will show mine when I get a section done to show. Its really time consuming, but worth it all. I will do it in 3 sections, connect them on the fronts, slip stitch the backs and then bind the whole thing when the sections are connected. I have done this for years and it works well as long as its blocks and rows. Thanks again. I am sure a lot of us will have gotten a lot of useful information from you.