View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Carol's Quilts

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
Originally Posted by Sunflower7
Mary what are calico beans? Recipe please.
Calico Beans

1 large can pork and beans
1 can red or black beans
1 can baby butter beans
1/4 lb bacon cut up
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c catsup
2 T vinegar
1/2 t salt
1 T lemon juice
2 T soy sauce
1 t liquid smoke
Dash celery salt
Dash garlic salt

Drain beans except pork n beans. In skillet brown bacon, ground beef and onion. Combine all these cans of beans with browned ingredients. Add together remaining ingredients and put in greased dish. Bake 1 hr at 350*.

Cheaper way - I start with dry beans and cook them myself which means I start the day before and soak them. I just go through the bean aisle and take one of almost every kind and mix them up. That gives me enough beans to last quite a while. I still buy the pork n beans in the can whichever is cheaper.
Yes, these are delicious. We make them often, too, but with a few variations. We use a whole pound of ground beef, 1/2 pound bacon, 1 cup diced onion cooked with the beef and bacon, then drained, we add only 2 teaspoons vinegar, we add 1 teaspoon dry mustard and omit the soy sauce. All the other ingredients are the same, but we only bake it for 45 minutes.

I suppose these small variations depend on your individual preferences, but they always go fast and many people ask for the recipe. We also sometimes use these beans as a main course because it has the meat right in it. We just add buttered noodles or baked potatoes and a salad. It's great.