View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Pat G

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I am trying so hard to get a couple of Downy quilts done and out the door.
They like the binding to be machine sewn and recommend using the backing to bring around and bind with.
I can't do this!!!!!
The first one, I was so careful when squaring up the quilt but ended cutting the binding part of the back on the last little cut. So I trimmed it all up, cut binding strips, adding more fabric from my stash and then sewed them on. I kept telling myself to sew it on the back first then turn to the front to sew down. Of course I attached it to the front, figured out I blew it after sewing about 15". I finished off as it was then pressed and turned toward the back, pinned the whole blasted thing and used a decorative stitch from the front to sew down. Looks fine but now how I wanted to do it.
Now, the second one, I was extremely careful squaring up the quilt and not cutting the back. I even taped the back away from the edges. I was just going back around to trim the backing to an inch larger than the rest, got to the last corner and trimmed it even with the quilt!!!!~! I am so mad at myself. I think I am going to try and do the backing/bind on 3/4 of the quilt and then just cut some binding strips for the top (which is the side I screwed up on))

How on earth do you do this type of binding without cutting the stupid backing fabric????
I have made so many quilts but have always used a separate binding which I would sew on the front and hand sew on the backing.
All I have to do is relax for one second and I mess the whole thing up!!!!!! This is so frustrating!!!!

I just finished my first "Quilt for Kids" quilt & I turned it inside out pillow case style. Took out the question of how to bind it.

I made a call to Karen (I think) of Quilts for Kids with questions about my buying my own batting & paying for shipping. She said that was my part of the donation. Hmmm

I told her I had discovered this charity from this group. She encouraged me to remind everybody about this worthy need for quilts. She said because of the increase in costs at every level, she's lost a lot of her sources for supplies & really needs everybody to continue making quilts that go to hospitals to sick kids.